Bradford 01274 963 057

Halifax 01422 747 036

Darvills and Benns Removals Logo

Bradford 01274 963 057

Darvills and Benns Removals Logo

Halifax 01422 747 036

Image of News - <span>The latest developments for Darvills & Benns</span>

News - The latest developments for Darvills & Benns

Bradford 01274 963 057 Halifax 01422 747 036

Cards Accepted, Guild Of Removers Member

Complete our simple quote form

to get your FREE QUOTE today


Image of News - <span>The latest developments for Darvills & Benns</span>

Complete our simple quote form

to get your FREE QUOTE today


Who needs to know that you’re moving house?

Posted on by Darvills

If you’ll soon be moving house, it’s time to start spreading the word! But we don’t just mean telling your friends and family about your change of address; you also need to let various companies and organisations know too. From government bodies like the HMRC and DVLA to bank and insurance providers, there are many people you need to inform about your new address. At Darvills of Leeds, we’re one of the leading removals companies in Bradford and Halifax, so don’t hesitate to ask for expert advice regarding the moving process.

Here’s who you need to tell when you’re moving house.

Government bodies 

There are several government bodies to inform when you’re moving house. These include:

DVLA: You need to update the DVLA with your new address. This is required for your vehicle registration as well as your licence. Keep in mind that you might need your licence for ID or van hire. Therefore, it’s best not to do this until after you’ve moved.

HMRC: You’ll need to tell HMRC when you move house. This is necessary for income tax, national insurance, state pension, and child benefit. Visit and sign in using your Government Gateway user ID and password

Department for Work and Pensions: If you’re receiving any money from the government, you’ll need to change your address with the Department of Work and Pensions too. 

Financial institutions

Banks, credit card companies, and other lenders will need to know your new address when you move house. You’ll need to inform:

Banking and savings account providers: You should inform your banking provider of your change of address as near to your move date as possible. Your address can help you to prove your identity, and so forgetting to update it could place you at risk of identity theft. 

Credit card companies: Credit card companies also need to know if you move house. Your current address is not only required for the bill but as an extra identification step. Store card providers should also be informed of your change of address.

Pension services: If you have a private pension, you’ll need to update your address. Contact your provider by telephone or email. If you have a state pension, you can do so by visiting the government’s pension service page. 

Insurance providers 

Your insurance providers need to be notified about your change of address as soon as possible. Contact any companies you have insurance plans with, such as:

Car insurance (including your breakdown service provider): Car insurers take your address into account when working out your premiums. If you live somewhere that’s seen as ‘risky’ in terms of crime, for example, your insurance will likely be higher. Similarly, if you live somewhere less risky, your insurance costs might be lower. Therefore, it’s important to tell your insurer about your new address as soon as possible.  

Home/contents insurance: If you already have home and contents insurance, you need to get in touch with your insurer so they can transfer your cover to your new address. Failing to do so could leave you uninsured should the worst happen. 

Other insurance providers: You’ll need to tell any other insurance providers about your change of address. This may include life insurance, pet insurance, and private health insurance.

Utility suppliers

Don’t forget to let your utility suppliers know when you move house. You need to tell them the exact date that you’re moving out. This will ensure that you’re not billed for any electricity, gas, or water you use after you’ve gone.

We recommend not only taking meter readings but taking photographs of them too (ideally date-stamped), in both your old and new properties. You should also shop around for the best deal to make sure you don’t pay more than you need to. You’ll need to contact:

Water supplier 

Gas provider 

Electricity provider


Health services 

Medical organisations will need to know you’re moving house. You should register at your local doctor’s surgery right away, as it’s possible there will be a delay in receiving treatment when you first register. Contact: 

Your local doctor’s surgery 

Specialist services such as dentist or optician.

Workplaces and schools

Your employer and your child’s school will need to be informed with you move house. They’ll need your new address, especially if you are an emergency contact. 

Employer:  Your employer needs to know your new address so they can update your contact details. More importantly, this information is required for your payroll. 

Schools:  If you have children, you must let their schools know about your house move. They can then update your contact details. Plus, because moving house can be stressful for children, it’s useful for their teachers to be aware.

Redirecting your post

As you can see, updating people with your new address can be a tough and time-consuming task, particularly if you’ve lived in your house for some time. Fortunately, there is a way to make the process easier. Simply use the change of address service offered by the Post Office. The service will redirect all your post to your new address. Although it takes around 10 days to come into effect, it can incredibly useful. It will make sure you receive all your important mail, preventing it from going astray. You can keep the service for up to 12 months after moving to your new house.  

Choosing a removals company 

Finding a removals company you can trust is key to making sure your move goes smoothly. There are many removals companies in Halifax and Bradford, but not all can be relied upon to provide a professional and reliable service. At Darvills of Leeds, we’ve been helping people move house in the local area since 1876, building a fantastic reputation throughout the region. As well as providing moving services, we can also assist with packing and storage services in Bradford and Halifax. 

Contact Us 

To book our removals services or hire a storage unit, don’t hesitate to get in touch. Call us on 0113 436 0318 or email us at You can also send us a message through the website. We can answer all of your questions and provide you with a free quote for the services you require. 



This entry was posted in moving house tips and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.
Looking for secure storage at great rates?
More Info
Contact Us

If you would like more information about our services you can either e-mail us here or call us now on:

Bradford 01274 963 057

Halifax 01422 747 036

Ilkley 01943 619 0170

Leeds 01134 360 341