Ultimate Checklist Moving Abroad from the UK31st October 2018
Moving abroad is an exciting albeit daunting venture. The thrill of immersing yourself in an entirely new country, exploring new cities and meeting new people may be hampered only by the stressful thoughts of the moving process. Here at Darvilles Storage, we’re experts in all moves: domestic and international. We’re dedicated to facilitating the smoothest transition for you, and so we’ve written this article to help make your move abroad a little easier.
Things to know when moving to another country
When making the big leap to live abroad there are a few things you should check before your departure:
- Check which goods, if any, are restricted from being brought into your new country. Don’t just assume that all your possessions will be fine, as many countries will not allow certain items over their border, potentially confiscating them altogether and punishing you in the process.
- Estimate how much it’s going to cost to move. There can be all sorts of hidden and unexpected costs involved when moving items internationally. After deciding which items you wish to take, find the relevant information for your new country and ensure the move fits within your budget.
Taking your belongings to another country
- Pack light – the more you bring the more expensive the move will be. Many people choose to take only the necessities; not only is this practical, but many people say they truly feel like they are starting a new chapter by leaving their excess baggage at home.
- Store items away – if you wish to provide more space at home (for other tenants perhaps), or you wish to keep your possessions safe for your return, one idea is to keep your items (especially things such as bulky furniture or personal items) in long term storage. Many reputable companies, such as Darvilles Storage, offer long term storage and 24 hour CCTV surveillance for guaranteed safety of your possessions on return.
What you need to do before you leave permanently
- Get insurance – Your items will be travelling long distances, going through various checks on various modes of transports. We highly recommend you have your items insured, especially valuable items, just in case anything happens to them in the process.
Should I hire a moving company? Will it make the process easier?
Hiring an international moving company can take a lot of stress out of the moving process. At Darvilles Storage, we assist in the entire moving process from start to finish. This includes all the planning and logistics, as well as the physical packaging and moving.
We’ve been in the moving business for a number of years, and have vast experience experience in achieving successful international moves for our customers. We know how daunting the process can be – let Darvills help you make the transition to your new home away from home.
Darvills cover all areas of the moving process when moving abroad. We also offer a huge range of services for domestic moves. Whatever your needs, contact our friendly team today and we can help find the solution for you.This entry was posted in moving house tips, self storage advice and tagged moving abroad, moving from uk. Bookmark the permalink. ← How to Load Your Belongings into a Truck When Moving How to Move House in Bad Weather Conditions →